Baking with Kids – Banana Muffins Lunch Box Food
Baking with Kids
Banana Muffin Recipe
One of our favourite lunch box snacks for school and on weekends are Banana Muffins. During School Holidays if the perfect time to teach your kids a thing or two in the kitchen. We have been making a batch of these while cooking dinner as the kids have been eating like crazy these school holidays. They are super easy and don't make a big mess in the kitchen to clean up.
I don't always have time to make these from scratch, so sometimes I'll use a packet mix, however, no matter the end result is the same. Tasty Banana Muffins! You can even add a scoop of yoghurt or ice cream to make a desert.
The recipe takes less than 10 minutes to prepare and then 15 minutes into the oven they go. Tip... The riper the bananas the better. We found this recipe from Bake Play Smile.
Banana Muffin Recipe:
- 80g butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp honey
- 125g (1/2 cup) milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 large rippen bananas mashed
- 250g self-raising flour
- 100g caster sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 2 tbs raw sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius (fan-forced).
- Line a 12 hole muffin tray with muffin liners.
- Melt the butter in a microwave-safe bowl for 30-60 seconds or until melted. Allow to cool slightly.
- Add the vanilla extract, honey and milk and whisk together until well combined.
- Add the eggs one at a time and whisk between each addition.
- Add the mashed bananas and beat for a further 20 seconds or until well combined.
- Sift over the self-raising flour, caster sugar, baking powder, bi-carbonate soda, cinnamon and salt and fold through with a wooden spoon.
- Divide mixture evenly between the muffin cases (filling to ⅔ full).
- Sprinkle with the raw sugar (optional).
- Cook for 15 minutes or until the muffins are lightly golden and spring back when touched in the middle.
- Allow to cool in the tray for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.