Benefits for children learning a Martial Art
What are the benefits for children learning a Martial Art?
Rhee Taekwondo is a nation wide Martial Arts School providing self defence instruction to students from as young as 3 years old. They are a non competition martial art that focuses on teaching students important lessons like how to be a good person and really “win” in life without the trophies. This week we sat down with local instructors Nathan and Nicole Van Der Klugt to ask what are the benefits for children learning a martial art like Rhee Taekwondo. This is what they told us;
The benefits are many and varied, in our experience we see most students gain a combination of the following:
- Physical fitness: Our classes aim to improve children's strength, endurance, flexibility, balance, and coordination in a way that students find enjoyable.
- Self-defence: Children that learn self-defence skills and the understanding of when, and how to use them, feel safer and more confident within themselves.
- Confidence and self-esteem: Children gain a sense of accomplishment through overcoming challenges like board breaking or some of the more difficult techniques, as they progress through the ranks, each time they persevere and achieve their goal it boosts their self-esteem and overall confidence.
- Discipline and focus: Our classes require students to cultivate self-discipline and focus, skills that can greatly help children in other areas of their lives.
- Respect and humility: We’d like to believe that all martial arts teach respect for oneself and others, as well as humility, traits that help children to develop better social skills and relationships with others.
- Stress relief: The running, kicking, jumping, and shouting done in class can be an effective outlet for children to release pent-up energy and emotions in a safe environment, and a great way to reduce stress.
- Cultural appreciation: Most traditional martial arts like Rhee Taekwondo have a rich cultural history which is passed on to the students, giving them an appreciation of different cultures and customs.
- Teamwork: Rhee Takewondo has a unique way of teaching teamwork due to a rank structure and emphasis on leadership. It is often the students themselves responsible for passing on their knowledge to a lower rank, which helps both children learn to work well with others and have a sense of belonging.
- Goal setting: Goal setting is a frequent part of our classes. Made easier with clear outcomes, like a new belt, and clear understanding of what is required to reach that goal. It’s our aim that students then take this process of clarity and goal setting to help them achieve ambitions in all areas of their life.
- Self-awareness and Mentally Strong: we believe martial arts training should be more than just physical training and as such we spend a portion of each kids class discussing a variety of topics, challenging the students to think for themselves and taking a moment to breath and clear their minds to think deeply or digest the new information.
Rhee Tae Kwon Do Bundaberg is owned and operated by Master Instructors Nathan and Nicole Van der Klugt. A variety of classes on offer including Kids classes for primary school aged children, Family Classes kids/teens/adults, Next Gen Classes for 3-5 years olds and an Express 45min class for busy people. Rhee Tae Kwon Do Bundaberg have multiple options available for students to attend more than one location with their monthly membership.