Kids Kitchen – Easy recipes
Written by Thermie Carmie on Tuesday March 29.
Enjoy Cooking with your kids!
Are you always looking for things to go into the kid's lunches, or after school snacks, but never know what to do? Here are two of our favourite recipes that are super easy to make, they use basic ingredients and the kids love them.
The first is zucchini slice. Even my 15yr old son who would never eat zucchini on his dinner plate if his life depended on it LOVES zucchini slice. It's great hot or cold, and if it has cooled, it's great reheated in the air fryer! (Use what you have, if Olive Oil isn't within your budget, just use the oil you have. Don't be afraid to go off-grid a bit, it will still work out totally fine.
Zucchini Slice only has 7 ingredients and 3 simple steps to follow;
- 5 eggs
- 150g (1 cup) self-raising flour, sifted
- 375g zucchini grated
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 200g rindless bacon, chopped
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 60ml (1/4 cup) vegetable oil
- Step 1: Preheat oven to 170C.
- Step 2: Beat the eggs in a large bowl until combined. Add the flour and beat until smooth, then add zucchini, onion, bacon, cheese and oil and stir to combine.
- Step 3: Grease and line a 30 x 20cm lamington pan. Pour into the prepared pan and bake in oven for 30 minutes or until cooked through.
The second is a recipe for biscuits that make 100 biscuits with only has 4 ingredients!! The only limit to these ones is your imagination!! You can literally add anything you want from Milo to peanut butter to sprinkles or M&Ms. The add ons are endless!! Get the kids involved and see how many varieties you can come up with!
- Caster Sugar
- Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Self-Raising Flour
- STEP 1 - Cream the butter and sugar: Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celcius (fan forced) and grease and line baking trays. Place the butter and sugar into a very large bowl (there's a lot of mixture!) this will take 3-5 minutes.
- STEP 2 - Add the Sweetened Condensed Milk: Add the tin of sweetened condensed milk and continue beating until completely combined.
- STEP 3 - Add the Flour: Add the flour, one cup at a time, beating between each addition.
- STEP 4 - Add the flavours
- STEP 5 - Bake: Roll into heaped teaspoon-sized balls and press down lightly with a fork. Place onto baking trays, leaving a 5cm gap between the cookies to allow for spreading, and bake each tray of cookies for 10 minutes. Divide the mixture between separate bowls (as many bowls as different flavours you would like). Add your flavours and mix through gently with a spoon. You don't need to be too precise about the amount of flavourings you add - just ensure you have a good balance between cookie dough and the add-ins.
Let us know how you go, did you and your Wide Bay Kids enjoy cooking these recipes ? Is it something you do together often?