Candy Cane Crush Cupcakes
Candy Cane Crush Cupcakes Recipe
This is the fun and super easy recipe my Wide Bay Kids and I used to make delicious cupcakes. This recipe works well for all types of cupcakes. You could add spices such as vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, or ginger to change the flavour. We had to stop mid-way after liking the the bowl and take a bath! Lots of fun, but a little messy with a 4 year old.
The cupcake recipe take about 10 minutes to prepare and 20 minutes to cook, so they’re super easy and pretty much ready in 30 minutes, minus the clean up time, which can be more than prep time with kids! To make this even easier you could buy a cupcake packet mix and follow the box instructions.
Candy Cane Crush Recipe:
- 1 cup plain / all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder (NOT baking soda)
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs (50 – 55g / 2 oz each), at room temp
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 60g / 1/4 cup unsalted butter , cut into 1.5cm / 1/2” cubes
- 1/2 cup milk , full fat
- 2 tsp vanilla extract , the best you can afford
- 1 1/2 tsp vegetable or canola oil
- 1 pkt of Candy Canes
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F (160°C fan) for 20 minutes before starting the batter. Place shelf in the middle of the oven.
- Place cupcake liners in a standard muffin tin.
- Crush candy canes.
- Whisk Dry: Whisk flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Heat Milk-Butter: Place butter and milk in a heatproof jug and microwave 2 minutes on high to melt butter. Do not let milk bubble and boil (foam ok). Cover and leave in microwave to keep very warm (stove: cover with lid and leave on turned off stove).
- Mix eggs: In a separate, preferably heavy based glass bowl, beat eggs for 30 seconds on speed 6 of a handheld beater.
- Add sugar: With the beater still going, pour the sugar in over 30 seconds.
- Beat until tripled: Beat eggs for 6 minutes on speed 8, or until tripled in volume and almost pure white.
- Add flour: When the egg is whipped, scatter 1/3 flour across surface, then beat on Speed 1 for 5 seconds. Stop beating, add half remaining flour, then mix on Speed 1 for 5 sec. Add remaining flour, then mix on Speed 1 for 5 – 10 sec until the flour is just mixed in. Once you can’t see flour, stop straight away.
- Temper milk: Pour hot milk, vanilla and oil into the now empty flour bowl. Add about 3/4 cups of the Egg Batter into the hot milk (don’t need to be 100% accurate with amount). Use a whisk to mix until smooth – you can be vigorous here. Will look foamy.
- Slowly add milk: With the beater on Speed 1, pour the Milk mixture into the Egg Batter over 15 seconds, then turn beater off.
- Scrape and final mix: Scrape down sides and base of bowl. Beat on Speed 1 for 10 seconds – batter should now be smooth and pourable.
- Fill muffin tin: Pour batter into muffin tin, filling 2/3 of the way up. Do not fill more (causes flat / sunken surfaces). Easiest to use a standard ice cream scoop with lever.
- Bake 22 minutes or until golden and toothpick inserted into middle comes out clean.
COOL & FROST:
- Remove from oven. Cool just 2 minutes then use a fork to help remove and place on cooling rack. Cool completely before icing with frosting of choice, or cream and fresh berries or jam.
- Sprinkle crushed candy cane pieces on top to serve.