Home Made Paint
Home Made Paint
Corn flour paint is a family favourite in our home. The kids love the gloopy feel of it and the fact that they’re allowed to be a little messy………and lets face it when you don’t have paint on hand, it’s a cheap and easy alternative.
My version of corn flour paint is transparent like water paint but with more of a gluey consistency, so don’t expect bright colours when you make it. The paint is edible which makes it safe for young children, although I can’t vouch for its taste!
This is a quick activity that you can get the kids involved in. Mine really enjoy mixing in the food dye to create their own special colours.
How to make your own corn flour paint
What you need:
- 1/2 cup of corn flour
- 1/4 cup of cold water
- boiling water (add amount to your desired consistency)
- food colouring
- measuring cups
- a large heatproof bowl
- individual containers for coloured paints
- spoons or paddle pop sticks for mixing
- Mix corn flour with cold water to make a runny paste.
- Carefully add boiled water to corn flour mixture and whisk quickly as it thickens. I recommend adding a little water at a time until you have the consistency you desire – thick for finger painting, more runny for painting with brushes.
- Set corn flour base mix aside to cool.
- Once cooled divide into separate containers.
- Mix a few drops of food colouring into each container – the kids can definitely help with this part.
If by chance your mixture feels a little too runny just pop it in the microwave for a minute or so. The extra heat will help to thicken it up.
I hope your family gets as much fun out of this home made paint as mine have over the years. It’s certainly saved me a dollar and a trip to the shop when I’ve run out!
Home made paint